Friday, August 23, 2013

The Verdict on Dresden

When my colleagues asked where I was going for my holiday and I said my first stop would be Dresden, they wrinkled up their noses. "Why would you want to go to Dresden?" they asked. "It's not very nice." They discussed among themselves what could possibly be of interest in that part of the continent and came up empty-handed. Natürlich, I grew a little concerned, because I didn't want to waste my trip. But things were booked, so when Thursday night rolled around, off I went. The night train left Vienna at 22.00 and pulled into Dresden around 7.00 the following morning.

Now, I'm not sure which Dresden those guys were talking about, because the one I went to looked like this:


And this.


Neither 'ugly' nor 'boring' are among the descriptors I would use. Also, there is a little cafe just off the Altmarkt that has pink cushions and served me the best warm croissant I've ever had in my life.


My colleagues are idiots. Dresden: not a waste of a trip.

No comments: